Re: Starting 16v while pressing gas

At 10:16 PM 11/16/01 +0000, Sean Clark wrote:
>Hey,
>   My mechanic recently suggested that I overcome my starting problem by
> pressing the gas pedal, but I'm hesitant to do this since I've heard that
> is bad for the 16v cars.  Is this true, or just something I made up?
>
>-Sean
Giving it some gas at startup isn't bad, although it shouldn't need
it.  But if you are having a problem that would get around
it until you found the source.  The only way it wouldn't be a good thing is
if you flood the engine, but that's not bad either,
just a pain.  Long before FI cars this was the way you started cars.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.