Re: Toughness of a Quaife?

--- Dave Ewing <rabbit16v@prodigy.net> wrote:
> 2.  Is the install pretty straight forward?

Like another who replied, if you know how to tear a tranny all the way
down, you should be OK.

  I was talking to someone
> that
> told me that I will have to have someone with special tools reset my
> ring
> and pinion when I am done installing it.  Is this true?  LMK!!

It's not like a RWD final drive, it's easier.  We only have to set the
preload on the bearings.  First, both races are installed with specific
shims.  Then you'll need a dial indicator or depth micrometers to
measure axial play (on my first one, I used the depth measuring arm on
my dial calipers).  Then you'll have to put remove one race, put the
correct shims behind it, and reinstall.

I've said it before, but a gas grill or old oven is, IMO,
indispensable.  You pop the case half in, let it soak at about 400* for
only 5 minutes or so, and the races just drop out (or in) - literally.
They'll be sitting on the grate.

There's a recent issue of GRM that shows Stu Brumer heating the ring
gear with a torch and hammer to install it on a Quiafe.  Nah.  Heat
that ring gear for 15 mins or so with the grill on high, have the
Quaife in your vise, and that ring will just drop right into place,
with enough play to let you quickly rotate into place.  Piece of cake,
*believe* me.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

You will regret more what you didn't do and could have than what you did do and shouldn't have.