Re: New cop trick

With regards to the "E" word.  I was waiting for this to come up.

Being "sneaky" to catch somebody doing something illegal is not entrapment.
Entrapment is getting someone to do something illegal that they normally
wouldn't do by deception.

Here's a good example:

Lets say I'm with the DEA and I know you're having bad financial troubles and
are about to lose your house to forclosure.  I go undercover and offer you
$5000 to take a load of drugs from point A to point B.  You've never done
anything like this before, but, you do it out of desperation since $5000 will
get you current on all your bills.  Then I bust you.  THAT is entrapment.
Not sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun disguised as an Oleander
bush or a cow or whatever.

Tom in Tucson