From: "16V Jason" <jason@scirocco.org>
To: "'Scirocco List'" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 1:39 PM
Subject: RE: Logo Infringement

At 01:01 PM 11/15/2001, Josh Hignight wrote:
>Would an email from each of us asking VwoA to stop pursuing legal action
>against enthusiast webpages help? This is getting old that we as VW
>enthusiasts can't even express our enjoyment in their products on the web
>because of their trademark infringement crap!

Right -- it's getting REALLY old.  VW has been at this shit for years, and
to think that they're actually wasting money on legal fees for this kind of
crap is ludicrous.  I completely understand their needing to protect their
trademark -- I'm not saying that they should.  However, since none of us
are commercial entities expecting to make any money from our websites,
there should be no issue here.  If Mark or Mike were to use the VW logo, I
could completely understand.

There is a huge distinction between a commercial website using the VW logo
in an attempt to make a profit.  But for private use?  Come the fuck on --
what's the big deal.

Furthermore, VW is shooting themselves in the foot.  Don't give me this
crap that they don't want people to associate their old cars with new
ones.  They should be happy -- and indeed promote the fact -- that their
cars have a huge enthusiast following all these years later.  If they were
smart, they would grant permission to informative websites to use their
logo -- and point to them from the VWOA page under a "community" link.

The fact that Dirk's site was slammed for trademark infringement is even
more ridiculous -- the VW logos he uses on his page are a rotating artist's
rendering of the VW Symbol, not a copy of the actual symbol itself.

Eventually VWOA will get to all of us and ask all of us to remove the
logos.  My response?  I'll replace the one VW logo that's on my site with a
picture of the VW logo from the back of my car.  If having a VW symbol on
my car was trademark infringement, we'd all owe VW $250,000.  And since you
can put a picture of your car on the Web and don't have to block out the
logos, there should be no reason it would be illegal to have a close-up of
the badge on your car.

It amazes me how petty VWoA really is.

Jason