RE: Fw: Logo Infringement

Wow, people are really getting bent out of shape about this. All they
are asking is that unofficial sites not use their logo. They are not
requesting that he cease and desist from maintaining a site about VWs
in general. The point everyone seems to be missing is that this is
not an issue of copyright infringement, it is a matter of trademark
infringement. From the strictest legal standpoint, VW can be held
responsible for anything appearing under their trademark unless it is
strictly stated as not being an official VW product or service. That
is why they have to pursue this. If they allow Dirk to display their
trademark, then that means that they officially approve of his site,
and can be held legally responsible for the damages of any incorrect
information on his site!

I agree that many companies are overzealous in the pursuit of people
they feel have infringed their copywrited material, but a trademark
is NOT just a piece of art, it is like the official signet or seal of
a company. That means that any product, establishment, or web site
displaying the VW logo is suppose to be certified in some manner by
VW AG (or apparently VWoA, since the letter seems to imply that AG
has charged oA with pursuit of copyright and trademark issues) to do
so.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.