Re: O2 Sensor Works HOW? was: Fw: RE:solder vs. crimp

MrAudi wrote:

> i just downloaded 140 messages so i apologize if i repeat anything. the o2
> sensor works with heat. if you were to observe the o2 output on a cold car
> you would see an obvious difference after the car warms up. all new cars
> have heating elements built into the sensor so that it works almost
> immmediatly after the engine is started.

Early models put the O2 Sensor high up in the Exhaust, right on the
Manifold. Get hot right away. Later models put it down low near the Cat
and so need a warming coil to reduce the time frame to operating temp.

> the sensor does not measure
> anything outside of the exhaust system.

Yes it does, it measures the DIFFERENCE between the Exhaust gases and
outside air.

> the reading from the sensor is
> analog, but the computer interprets it to be digital (on/off).

This may be true to a point but I will defer to a Bosch FI manual or
other authority.

> there for the
> wires would not have to be exposed to the atmosphere.

This is true, the WIRES don't need exposure.

> the problem i was
> talking about in regards to soldering the wire is this, solder is made up
> mostly of lead. as we all know lead has a reletivily high resistance to
> electricity. the computer i a car relys on a precise signal from the o2
> sensor. a difference of .01 volt will affect the mixture. so soldering the
> wires with lead solder could concivably affect the sensors operation. ok now
> i need to go bandage the pointer fingers on both of my hands.......lol
>
> Jason Neubold

A proper solder joint wont affect the signal in such a way. The copper
(I _hope_ it's copper) is metal to metal, the tin/lead solder will not
cut down on electron flow, that's if one knows how to solder correctly.
(btw- I like the shrink tube part.)

To tell you the truth I could get by w/ twisting them together (in the
same way I would before soldering) and slap on some grease and shrink
tube the thing and go.)

TBerk
feeling like a 'Harumph' is coming on.