From: 16V Jason [mailto:jason@scirocco.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 1:31 PM
To: Randy B; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: dumb Dyno question

At 04:10 PM 11/13/2001, Randy B wrote:
>Ok so this is probably a real dumb question but.......
>
>When HP figures are thrown around in magazines for new cars and for
modified
>cars which figure are they using.
>Wheel HP, Crank HP, other?

New Car manufacturers and thus the new car magazines (C/D, R&T, Automobile,
MT, etc) use crank horsepower.

A good rule of thumb is that if you don't see "...at the wheels" listed
right next to it, it's motor horsepower.

>Got my TT 1847cc 8V dyno'd this weekend and according to the guys running
>the dyno it max'd around 105hp (a few people said they saw a spike of 110hp
>:^D ) at the wheels.

A spike of 110hp?  That doesn't really make any sense.  If you had a
"spike" of 5hp, something's wrong with your engine.

Why do you say "according ot the guys running the dyno, it max'd around
105hp".  First of all, where is your graph.  You should be able to see for
yourself exactly what the max horsepower was... not "around" what
horsepower it put down.  And perhaps more importantly, I wouldn't pay
anyone to dyno my car and then walk away with nothing else but having been
told an approximate HP peak.  The peak value is essentially meaningless --
it's the rest of the (torque) curve that's telling you what's going on.

>I am kind of curious how this compares to the 123hp (crank,wheels,other?)
>that the stock 1.8L 16V has.

Stock 1.8 16V = SAE 123hp.  That's 123hp peak at the engine.
Low-mileage, perfectly tuned 1.8 16Vs with no modifications will put 105hp
peak to the ground.

Jason

>Thanks,
>Randy
>

>--

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.