RE: dumb Dyno question

At 05:55 PM 11/13/2001, Fry, Larry wrote:
>Two responses to Jason:
>One, a dyno operator can manipulate the balance between load and engine rpm
>in a way that will produce "spikes" in the torque readings.  These are
>momentary and not true indicators of engine output.

Yeah..... but..... duh!  Of course, you can get a Scirocco to show a spike
of 200hp by dumping the clutch into 2nd gear at 7200rpm on the dyno.
:)  But what good does that do?!

I dunno -- I'm in a critical mood today (does that surprise anyone?  Didn't
think so) but what gets me more than anything is dumbfuck dyno operators
who wouldn't understand what a torque curve meant if I shoved it up their ass.

I mean really... look at Bill Scarince's run that he posted to the list
today.  Yeah, in this case we're lucky that we can see peak HP and Torque
values -- but without sitting there for 4 hours labelling the damn graph
and re-charting it, it's completely fucking useless!

If the moron running the dyno knew anything about what people were looking
for, he certainly wouldn't have plotted the X-Axis as time.  What's the
point of doing that?!?!  And why would he have started the dyno run at
4,500rpm?

It wasn't just Bill's -- he fucked up everyone's dyno runs!  Thank God
Bill's torque peak was high enough (i.e. over 4500rpm) that we can even see
what the peak was!!!  The doofus on the dyno was more concerned with
running people's cars through the gears like he was a real big boy and got
to dwive dee big carws like dee big boys do.

Whatever. :)
Jason