16V A/C removal, keeping power steering...

The requirements are to remove the A/C gracefully, drop the alternator
to a more compact location, retain power steering, and ditch that big
old boat anchor mount that weighs about 15 pounds or so.

So...Saturday at the junkyard, Ben and I removed the alternator mount
from an Audi 4000.  This (so far) looks like a fantastic solution since
on this engine (5 cyl, iirc, mounted longitudinally) Audi mounts the
A/C on the opposite side of the engine, below where our passenger side
engine mount is.  The alternator bracket is a ridiculously simple
affair, same as a VW Fox, and weighs almost nothing.  The Audi PS pump
is in the familiar location.

Over the water pump is a very nice and light cast aluminum piece which
provided the power steering pump mounting point (that long, horizontal
bolt).  Ben compared this to the cast iron anchor that is on the 16V
engine, and the report is that it appears to be compatible.

I'll need an 8V style alternator, since I believe the mounts are
different, and also - maybe - a different water pump pulley.  Hopefully
the one from the Audi, to keep things simple.

It'll be a few weeks before I can fit it all up, but thought I'd toss
this out for comment and any BTDT's using these parts.

I'll assemble a how-to with photos and P/N's if this works...

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

You will regret more what you didn't do and could have than what you did do and shouldn't have.