Re: Engine stops at random times...

Alright mate

I have exactly the same car (91 Scala i 90000miles)
and about a year ago i had exactly the same problem.

I replaced the hall sender in the distributor and the
TCH (ignition amp) in the scuttle (where the heater
motor is undernthe plastic tray under the bonnet) on
the passenger side and it wnet away and has never come
back.

Frustrating isnt it!!

Andy
91 Scirocco Scala i
83 Jetta 2.1

 --- Chris Aucken <chris@5gd.co.uk> wrote: > Hi all,

> Newbie on the list from England...
>
> I have a 1991 Scirocco Scala (8 valve 1.8i, right
> hand drive) with 140,000
> miles, needs a new clutch but still going well, but
> I have a rather weird
> problem...
>
> It always starts first time, but then the engine
> stops at random times,
> usually after running for between 5-10 minutes.  It
> can happen when idling,
> or when cruising at 70 or more.  If I try and start
> it again immediately it
> just _will_ not start, but if I leave the ignition
> off for 30 seconds or so
> it will almost always start again.
>
> My local mechanics can find nothing wrong with the
> fuel or ignition systems,
> and of course they can never reproduce it, since it
> doesn't always happen -
> it can go for weeks without doing it, then will stop
> once every trip.
>
> Needless to say, when it stops at 70 or more on the
> motorway (what we call
> freeway here) it can be quite exciting... but I'm
> quite an expert now at
> getting to the shoulder from the fast lane in
> neutral - and usually I can
> get it started again before I stop.
>
> Apart from that it's fine, it gets about 40 miles to
> the (UK) gallon and I
> love it!!
>
> Any ideas where to look gratefully received...
>
> Chris
>

> --
> Email LIST problems to:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.