Engine stops at random times...

Hi all,

Newbie on the list from England...

I have a 1991 Scirocco Scala (8 valve 1.8i, right hand drive) with 140,000
miles, needs a new clutch but still going well, but I have a rather weird
problem...

It always starts first time, but then the engine stops at random times,
usually after running for between 5-10 minutes.  It can happen when idling,
or when cruising at 70 or more.  If I try and start it again immediately it
just _will_ not start, but if I leave the ignition off for 30 seconds or so
it will almost always start again.

My local mechanics can find nothing wrong with the fuel or ignition systems,
and of course they can never reproduce it, since it doesn't always happen -
it can go for weeks without doing it, then will stop once every trip.

Needless to say, when it stops at 70 or more on the motorway (what we call
freeway here) it can be quite exciting... but I'm quite an expert now at
getting to the shoulder from the fast lane in neutral - and usually I can
get it started again before I stop.

Apart from that it's fine, it gets about 40 miles to the (UK) gallon and I
love it!!

Any ideas where to look gratefully received...

Chris