Getting ready for next year

I am at a crossroads this winter - do I keep my car in Stock class or start
down the slippery slope of building it to a higher level of competition. I'd
appreciate your thoughts before I start spending money on the car this
winter. Here is where I stand:

Eventually I want to go IT racing but I'm not financially ready this year.
Planning to start in two years.

Honestly I need (at least) another season of driving to get my skills up to
a point where I'm truly competitive.

But, 16Vs are being tossed into G Stock which means that even if I get
_really_ good, I'll be hard pressed to be competitive.

I have a Scirocco 16V, if that makes any difference.

Should I take the plunge and build an SP car? Is an SII 16V even competitive
in that class (still DSP for 2002?) if built to the limits of the rules?

Should I just sell the Scirocco and start with a more competitive platform?
Like what?

Thanks for your perspectives.

Christian Els
1987 Scirocco 16V