Re: Engine stops at random times...

I have had 2 separate occasions where (with 8vs, which aren't prone to the
hall sender dying...cause 8vs don't use a wierd/lame distributor) it was
actually the coil getting hot and shorting out internally.  New coil,
problem gone.

Eric

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Larry the Crime Donkey wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 09:25:24PM -0000, Chris Aucken wrote:
>
> > It always starts first time, but then the engine stops at random times,
> > usually after running for between 5-10 minutes.  It can happen when idling,
> > or when cruising at 70 or more.  If I try and start it again immediately it
> > just _will_ not start, but if I leave the ignition off for 30 seconds or so
> > it will almost always start again.
>
> > Any ideas where to look gratefully received...
>

> Sources point to: Bad hall-effect sensor in the distributor.  My ol' 16v
> had the exact same symptoms before the sensor failed permanently.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> The bomb will not start a chain-reaction in the water converting it all to
> gas and letting the ships on all the oceans drop down to the bottom. It
> will not blow out the bottom of the sea and let all the water run down the
> hole. It will not destroy gravity. I am not an atomic playboy, as one of
> my critics labeled me, exploding these bombs to satisfy my personal whim.
>
> Vice Adm. W.H.P. Blandy, Cmdr Joint Task Force 1, Operation Crossroads, 1946

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox