Re: Do I still need a CAT? Cali car in NON-Cali state

--- Andre Bjorkheim <andreb.mail@gte.net> wrote:
> A buddy of mine (Keith Wilkes) has a 1980 Scirocco
> (California model)
> car whilst living in South Carolina & he's wondering
> if he can remove
> the CAT.  Apparently in 1980 no S.C. cars had
> catalytic converters, so
> is it safe to say if the car is registered in S.C.
> that he no longer
> needs a CAT?  The car hasn't been in Cali since
> 1998.  Thanx...

All 48 state U.S. Sciroccos came with CAT, including
those sold in South Carolina  ;-)

So it is not safe to say . . .
1978 & 1979 Sciroccos were NON CATALYST

I'm not sure about 1976-1977 Sciroccos (never owned
one).

1975 Sciroccos originally came with a cat, but VW
later got permission from EPA to remove them (I still
have the paper work on this somewhere).

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)