summit trunk-mount battery kit review

Since I needed to move my battery to the hatch for room for intercooler
piping, I went ahead and bought the kit from Summit.  I didn't buy the nice
battery box (lack of funds), ended up getting the polyethylene marine-grade
one.  The box cost about $20 (should tell you something right there) and the
rest of the kit including hardware and 2-gauge wiring cost $20.

The hardware to hold the battery did not work well.  It was cheap, and was
probably designed to fit a GM or ford sized battery.  It was a little too
big to fit the VW-size battery.  Even if it did fit, I dont think it would
hold as well as it was intended to.  The h-shaped holder on top of the
battery bent over very easily when I put on the necessary torque to hold the
battery still.  I got it pulled down pretty good, but not as tight as I
would have liked it to be.  I'll probably end up fabbing up some kind of
heavier-duty clamp to get it where I want it.

The box, in short, is a piece of crap.  I had to put a piece of 2x10 in the
bottom of it to get the battery up to the right height, and even then the
clamps got in the way of the top of the box.  I ended up hacking the top to
get it to fit, and it still doesnt fit right.  I guess you get what you pay
for, I will probably replace the box with one of the aluminium ones.

Routing the 2-gauge cable wasnt that bad.  I did it just like Shannon did.
Under the foam on the left side and down the middle of the car under the
carpet next to the e-brake handle.  Then out the hole in the firewall where
the a/c lines used to go.  I ended up using all 20ft.

Starting the car is a little difficult sometimes (probably would have been
better off with the 1-gauge cable.

I wish I would have mounted it in the spare tire well, the thought didnt
cross my mind until my brother pointed it out.  Also, there is no way to
mount it on the passenger's side unless you dont mind it sitting at an angle
or find someway to raise it up in the middle.

All in all, not a bad mod for $40.  Took me a while to mount the sucker
though.

Joe