Re: Battery questions

At 01:39 AM 11/4/2001, Brian Haygood wrote:

>And what size do you suggest for one that starts well all the time?

I generally suggest "the bigger the better", but that's up to you.  650CCA
should be enough to start your car.

>Can I get away with 44 amp-hour and 650CCA, or do I need to gain 8 pounds, a
>few inches, and loose $12 to get 56amp-hr and 800CCA?  -I'd really like the
>smaller one.  Hell, I'd even push start it once in a while (actually, I park
>facing downhill and it's like1/8 mile to the bottom of the hill, so I
>usually just pop the clutch at the bottom of the hill instead of starting
>the car in front of my house, but for this arguement, lets assume I'm
>normal, instead).

Hmmm... I wouldn't do this on a regular basis.  I'm not sure exactly why
(maybe someone else has been able to figure it out), but just about every
car manual I've read instructs never to do this because of the possibility
of damaging your cat.  That makes absolutely no sense to me, however, if
you don't start the car "normally", the computer doesn't know any better,
and you won't get any cold cranking enrichment or post-start
enrichment...  so you'll be running lean.

Jason