RE: Anyone replace their lug bolts with studs and nuts?

--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> isnt the process in which a car is assembled also part of the
> engineering
> procedure?

I'm not sure where this is going...any engineer who selects the wrong
spec for a bolt or stud is likely to see that part fail.  Any
manuacturer who provides a part below it's spec will also see that part
fail.  And if it's assembled wrong, of course it could fail.

The only assembly process I can see in this example - lug bolts vs.
studs - is how it's screwed together.  Yes, determining how that is
done is part of engineering - manufacturing engineering.

Now if loads are calculated correctly, the correct part is chosen and
purchased, it's made to spec, handled and installed correctly...what's
the advantage of lug bolts vs. studs/nuts?  We've determined here that
end-user convenience is highly subject to personal preferences.  I'm
looking at the Porsche example as a one-off, meaning that in their case
with their parts, bolts work better.  But that certainly is not true
for all manufacturers - history proves that.  That leaves one very real
factor: cost.  The purchase and installation of one bolt vs. one stud +
one nut...

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump