Re: Anyone have a 2117cc 16V

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Haygood" <scirious@hotmail.com>
To: <amalventano1@home.com>; <sirocco@telocity.com>; <rocco1987@hotmail.com>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Anyone have a 2117cc 16V

> I'll agree with Allyn's note that decreasing piston speed is good and try
> add a bit of explanation.  I'm making this up, but it seems to me like a
> good story:
>
> So there's the decreased inertia thing, making decreased piston speed
good,
> but we can be a bit more specific:
>
> We aren't really talking just about decreased piston speed - the average
> speed of the piston will be one stroke per revolution, and there is no
> changing that.  We are actually talking about decreasing the maximum speed
> the piston reaches during its travel.  So decreaseing the maximum while
> maintaining the average means "smoother" motion, in a sense.  Less
> jerkiness, less inertia change - good stuff.

You are right.   With a short stroke you are decreasing maximum piston
speed, maximum speed being in the middle of the stroke, so when the piston
comes to a complete stop and turns around it will expereince less
acceleration and since F = M*A decreasing the acceleration at the
extremities of the piston movement will allow the the engine to rev higher
and not throw a rod or piston,  Since less force is exerted on the con rod
and the bolts that hold the piston to the con rod.  Also by looking at the
formula less mass also equals less force at a given RPM which translates in
to higher RPM at a given force.
The larger bore is to compensate for the loss in displacment of having a
shorter stroke.
In the Formula F = Force, M = mass of the moving part/parts, A =
acceleration
and one of three kinomatics to use to find acceleration is DX = Vo*t +
.5*A*T^2
Dx being delta x or change in distance
Vo is initial velocity
T is the time it takes to slow down