RE: r-134a a/c conversion q's

Gerry Reichelt wrote:
> Ask yourselves how a
> heavier than air refrigerant gets to the
> atmosphere's ozone layer?

Following that logic, the atmosphere should be separated into discrete layers of oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, water vapor, etc. with the densest at the bottom and the least dense at the top of the heap.

> Seems to me that destroying ground level ozone
> is a good thing.

Given the end products of the CFC/O3 reaction, which include chloride ions and hydrochloric acid, you may be just trading one evil for another.

> I'd not heard that HC134a is carcinogenic.
> What's your source for this?

The A/C tech told me that - I can't attest to the accuracy of it myself.

> If there's so much black market R12 available,
> why don't the prices drop a little?

Supply and demand I s'pose, just like electricity here on the West Coast - supply is short enough to drive up the price, but it'll usually be there if you're willing to pay enough.

---
Curt

'86 Scirocco 8V
'82 Scirocco 1.8