Re: Paint primer questions....

On Tue, 29 May 2001 19:53:51 -0700 (PDT) chris gonzalez
<chris24g@yahoo.com> writes:

>as for paint, i would spend the extra money for Glasurit, Sikkens, or
>PPG. Give me the brand of primer, and i can ask him to make a whole
>schedule for you to follow.

I asked him about it and all he could tell me was that it was a
competitor brand of PPG so....... I'll ask what it is exactly. He said he
would give me clear coat as well. hopefully its a quality brand. Ill ask
him for more details. Thanks!

>now i have a question. i've been thinking about pressure blasting my
>76, but people have told me that the friction and heat generated from
>the sand could warp (i.e. cause ripples) in the sheet metal. who did
>your car and what media did they use?

Depends on alot of conditions. I did the work myself and for me, I use a
cheap sand blaster (from Harbor Freight, $60) and the sand blasting
medium is from Home Depot. So far ive used over 2,000 lbs of sand and I
still have the hood to finish. 200 lbs more should finish the job before
some small fill jobs and priming followed by days of wet sanding. I just
want to get something on it before the rust sets back in.
I checked the temp of the metal with my thermo gun while blasting.
Nothing more than +5 to10 degree increases and im not staying in one spot
for very long. keep it moving and it doesn't have time to heat up. I have
a huge compressor which keeps the pressure in the 90 psi range which
seems to both keep temps down and make the sand last a little longer.

So, what's etching primer do??

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!