Re: r-134a a/c conversion q's

> I just got my Caddy's A/C fixed and went through this in detail the mechanic. His take is, don't bother. To do it properly you have to replace the condenser and evaporator, but you can't get the right ones for VWs. R134a isn't as efficient as Freon to begin with, and without the larger condensor & evaporator it's pretty much useless. He thinks that Freon will pretty much always be available via the black market and repackaged as U.S.-made so even the shops can't tell it's black-market. Plus, R134a is going away in 20010 or so because it's carcinogenic.

  fwiw, the only reason that r-12 is not being made and sold in the
states any more is because dupont lost the patent rights on it and this,
that, and something else happened. we sell vw condensers and evaporators
for vw's where i work. don't know what the difference between a r-12 vs.
r134a model would be. the local vw shop did the retrofit and got the
temperature in the car down to around 36°F.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com