[now OT] Oil Leaks, was Re: I can't sleep at night...

All this talk about oil leaks makes me remember my
first car, a 1964 Triumph TR4.  It had a tractor
engine, a big four cyl with only three main bearings.
The rear mail seal was a labyrinth type - the seal
made no physical contact with the crank, there was
kind of a thread that was supposed to pump the oil
back into the sump.  Well, when the rear main bearing
wore, the "seal" went to hell too.  The oil leaked
profusely into the bellhousing (all over the clutch),
and dripped from there onto the exhaust, and the smoke
came inside through the rotted cardboard transmission
cover (tranny access was through the inside of the
car).  I had this girlfriend in high school, about
halfway home she'd be riding with her head out the
window...never complained, though.  Went through about
a quart a day, 20 mile round trip...kept the rust at
bay though.

Ahhhh memories.

Ron

--- Brian McGarvey <brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu>