Re: Need some eval help on a Mk2 16v

On Fri, 25 May 2001 05:50:48 -0700 (PDT) josh Wyte <josh_wyte@yahoo.com>
writes:
> Going to look at a Mk2 16v that the owner put into a
> snow bank.
>
> Definately needs an oil pan, right front wheel isn't
> sitting straight, can't get into 1st or 2nd.  3rd and
> 4th are where 1st and 2nd should be...
>
> I'm hoping it's just a bent A-arm for the wheel and
> bent shift forks for the tranny...  What else could
> cause the misalignment of the gears?

The shift linkage...

It's probably either worn out or a ball and socket rod has broken.

> How can I tell if the subframe or the car frame is
> bent vs the A-arm?
>
> -josh
>
> =====
> Josh Wyte
> Momentum Motorsports
> 508-833-3024 After 5 pm EST

Take a look at it...
If the wheel is pushed back into the fender, it is probably just the A
arm, since they are designed to give way.

If only it's slightly off, it mayt not be obvious, holding a straight
edge across the front of the A arm helps.

The best thing is to swap in another A arm, and see how it goes.

Measure between the two 19mm A arm bolts, I forget what it should be, but
it's in the Bentley.
If it still had the lower stress bar on when it happened, the A arm is
probably the only culprit.

I'd install a good A arm, w/new ball joint, and get it aligned...

HTH,
Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                                             '79 Scirocco
16V
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Oddball Scirocco JH/FF
'84 GTI
Rollers For Sale: '79, '80, '84, '88 Scirocco