Re: Engine Problem Troubleshooting

David Zanotti wrote:

> Now that I've had a day to observe what's going on with my scirocco,
> here's what I've noticed.

Hey Dave, Since there are at least two different type of systems across
the range of possible sciroccos, can you be specific about your
model/year/geographical location?

Like "I have a '76 w/ carbs" Or "I have a 16v..."

>  1. Car starts and runs fine when cold
>  2. At some point during the latter stages of warm-up, the engine begins to
> run poorly at low rpms (no torque, hesitates) and stays that way.
>
> Seems to be a fuel issue (not enough or incorrect mixture).  Anybody have an
> idea on what I should check? I'd rather not throw money at it until I know
> what's wrong.
>
> David Zanotti

Before you adjust anything you should be sure the mixture isn't being
thrown off by air leaks (considering you have FI). Injector o-rings,
rips in the rubber intake boots, little rubber braided hoses parts that
are cracked with age, etc. Eliminate these and you have a good
foundation to start from.

You can check what the 0s sensor is doing, if your car has one, but I
wonder if you have ran any injector cleaner/ replaced the fuel filter
anytime recently?

TBerk