Re: [mk2][tech][brakes] What size flare wrench do I need?

Dick Wong brought his flair wrench set over one night after work and
attacked my Scirocco's old OEM lines with a fervor.

While he did most of the work on that part of the project I do remember
the following facts:

- He brought both SAE & Metric. At one point we found an SAE size (???)
fit better on one of the new SS lines. Dunno why.

- We found life easier when we dropped the axle a bit.*(See below) I had
the wheels off and we put milk crates under the rear drums to support
the trailing arms, and to pivot on.

- Also dropped the fuel pump down a bit, not fully disconnected- just
the bolts holding it in the bracketrey.

- Fun when going over the axle by the fuel pump; there is a bracket that
the line goes through. Funny, it's only on that side. Made for slow
going as you have clearance issues.

- Soaking in Liquid Wrench (a penetrant, not a lubricant like 3in1 or
WD-40) made things come off without breaking. Left to site overnight
would have been better.

- Bled the brakes with Dick's 'CheapAssedRon's Brake Fluid Power
Bleeder' - Mk2 model (complete w/ pressure gauge!) Start at the corner
furthest away from the M/C then do the other rear caliper, then the
front away from the M/C then finish with the closest one. Use only NEW
fluid, NEVER pour brake fluid back in after it has run through. Castrol
GML is good stuff, I used some synthetic stuff from Valvoline. Haven't
yet ridden on it to see what it acts like yet.

hth,
TBerk
PS - *Just read in the Bentley about preload on the rear axle bushings.
There is a picture in the book of the angle you need to have the axle &
mount lined up to when you reattach the nuts to avoid stressing the
bushings too much when you let the car back down on the ground. Bears
more investigating because it (may) not matter if you are not releasing
the pivot bolts. FYI.