Re: poor man's hot rodding

UrGTI@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/22/01 4:25:26 PM EST, tberk@mindspring.com writes:
>
> << The 16v is not as moddable as the 8 valve >>
>  I would beg to differ on that comment . I challenge you to find one thing
> power wise you can buy or do to a 8v you cant do to a 16v .
>
> I think if you were to go for 160 hp in a 8v and 160 hp in a 16v I bet it
> would cost about the same maybe even less in a 16v . Starting with a 2.0 on
> both for arguments sake of starting with the best and similar size engines
> the 16v is already 19hp ahead of the 8v .

Well, of course the 16v starts out ahead. But I mean to say that while
you can mod it, it is for the most part closer to max delivered already,
compared to an 8 valve car which gets a higher proportional increase.

The other part of my point is 16v parts is 'spensive maaaaan. This is
poor man territory we must confine ourselves to. (I'm not poor, but I
live I live in Silicon valley- therefore I run PoorMan emulation.)

> My experience being that I dropped a bone stock , burned up(everything not
> metal was melted), Passat motor in my rabbit and only bolted on a TT race DP
> and exhaust and layed down 126hp to the wheels . That equates to near 150
> right there , now with a pair of cams and a fuel enrichment module or
> Motronic swap I think you could make 10 more hp fairly easy .
>
> No flame intended just playing devils advocate for the 16v camp .
>
> Jasin
> MK1 S
> 45s?

Flame Away! It's OK.. ; ] I might even learn something.   I didn't get
into cams or fuel system swaps or such because I don't run a 16v- but
most all the things I see for them run more money, _if_ you can find it.

Speaking in generalities, I'll hang onto my previous statement:

> Better breathing will be key; getting the air in and then out of the
> engine. The 16v is not as moddable as the 8 valve (at least for no other
> reason than it being a smaller segment of the market; less development)
> and usually parts are more expensive than the 8 v.
>
> I'm an 8 v kinda guy so I will beg out of the specifics at this time and
> turn my attention to the injectors you mention.

TBerk