Re: Turbo Questions for those with Knowledge....

> Oh...thats an ECO diesel...the guys on the Rabbit truck list would kill
> for that motor! 1.9 TD...

Two things set an Eco diesel apart from a regular A2 turbo diesel (well,
three if you count the 4.11:1 final drive.)  The turbo diameter is
slightly smaller, and more importantly, there is no boost enrichement
device on the injection pump, which means no extra fuel at boost.  If the
injection pump has a funny flying saucer like device on top of ot with a
small hose running over to the intake manifold, then it is a true turbo
diesel. Otherwise it is 'just' an Eco diesel.

Also, a 91 TD or ECO is only 1.6L - the 1.9L didn't debut until 1993 model
year.

On a related note, the freshly installed 1.6L TD in my 84 Scirocco
squeezes oil and breathes smoke, just like a real oil burner should.  Now
if I can only get the installation finished up in time to be able to drive
to work, I'll be away...

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Night Shadow wrote:

> Eric
>

> On Wed, 16 May 2001, Nate Mellom wrote:
>
> > The junk yard I went to has a '91ish TD Jetta, $300 for the motor (not
> > including the alternator, they can make money on it), $200 for the
> > tranny if I want it.  No, I'm not telling you where it is, I want it!!!!
> >
> > A turbo deisel Rocco would be neato!!
> >
> > Nate
> > '81
> > '84
> >

> > --

> Eric
> Westminster, CO
>
> 76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
> 80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
> 81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
> 84 Scirocco Automatic
> 88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
> 91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
> 00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)
>
> "For Aquarians, the physics of loopholes is a perfectly valid science."
> -Kelli Fox

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca