[ND] Where is Waldo? , er TBerk?

ND Diary:

Friday- feeling sick, take half a day from work. (Server was hacked or I
would have taken the whole day off).  End up @ ND as a Passenger. (Dark
cloud is forming, fight it off!)
Meet new guy Tobias, (cool dude) and Randy B hanging around like they
own the place, we hit the road going south.

Look Ma!, we're in Monterey!  Turns out the Magical Mystery Mk1 18.t
needed a vacation- it ran OneLap then a dash from Boson MA to LA then to
SF.  =: 0 , man that's a lot of miles. After watching the road for a few
hours I get the other two guys to relocate closer to civilization
(direct deposit happened yet??? There is a sale tomorrow, nope, doh!)

So, Randy & Tobias and I are tooling around the wharf shooting the
breeze and eating clam chowder out of a bread bowl and brainstorming up
Scirocco related items when I hear a peep on the talkabout (Channel
5.5)- "<scratch, scratch> ...I'm 5th inline...<crackle>" Hey! That's
them there Scirocco folks! Mad dash to buy batteries because mine are
low and it ain't transmitting. 'Sorry, we don't have any AA
batteries...' Pager starts blowing up with multiple numbers, like a half
doz., all back to back.  (one was even my Ex, who was stranded in SF. Oh well).

Mad Dash part II to find pay phone, call to Kevin's cell that was
costing 75 cents a few miles south now costs $1.40. Pool your change
men!  We get a hold of them and they pull off the side of the road.

Radio Scirocco starts a triangulation procedure: "Tosha, come in Tosha.
We are at the Beacon Gas Station, north of the Power station, north of
Sand City.." <repeats>  Walkabout radios are great. If in doubt buy Motorola.

SO we all hook up and get back on the road- for some strange reason
Randy B (well, he does know the area) is chosen to lead the pack. To his
credit he did NOT drive us all through a corner and up an embankment.
For an equally strange reason I am in Tobias' car and we are the
caboose. Repeated attempts to get Tobias to risk his life and car to
encroaching traffic are ignored.  :])   Level headed guy, I like him.

Friday night in the Hotel parking lot was cool, this is getting to be
the most fun I will have this weekend. (doh!)  Northwest crew is in,
local boys are present, SoCal crew made it despite the drama (and didn't
leave a solder 'side the road). Call comes in "It's me Meze & I just
crossed the Grapevine, headed North..." Cool! Shawn and Dan May (n'
Julie) roll in shortly followed by that multicolored, looks better than
my car at the moment anyway, 'show car'.   (I poke fun but I'm impressed
by these guys who drove so far.)

Fridays end @ 3 am.

Saturday is hustle up day, if I can get the exhaust connected and the
suspension back in I can hit the road and still make it to Guido's for
the cruise. Nope. Did walk about ND afterwards though. Seemed like old
times when the show _was_ @ ND. Tried my damnedness to help out a truck
drivin man but I was missing the motor mount bracket for the spare 4
speed I had in the back yard. Oh well, Turbo Tim hooked him up with a 5
speed.

Sat night, I find myself back out in the parking lot again (should be
home with the wife, er Scirocco). Went to dinner @ IHOP (who hoo!
Swedish pancakes), sat next to Dirk, prob confused him all to hell by
talking too fast (his english is way better than my german),  stayed up
too late, drove back home meaning to wrench some more, fell asleep
changing clothes.

So Show Day rolls around, my car is soooo close, I figure I can detail
it at the show. In fact I was thinking to show up with things left
undone and work on it in the full display of the public- "Step right up
folks, free tech procedure demonstrations" But I was unable to get a
roadable car in time for the gate closure time.

Making lemonade after the fact I find I spent the whole day in, around,
and under my car.  Saw most all the folks who showed up, got to meet the
two Dirks and their lady friends, got to call Eric S.  'Salty- Weasel'
repeatedly, poked fun at the brothers Grimm (Damn Candihoovians - LOL!),
got a free box of gloves from David G. (how did he get those high
quality gloves anyway? Hmmm), walked around ND on Sat with a passle of
VW nuts (feels like I _did_ go to the show),  oh- (and this is BIG) Got
my F**kin KEYS back!; (they went on an inadvertent trip with the
roommate to visit the Dali Lama).

All in all not too bad, I didn't do half the intended things but I tried
not to stress over things not going my way. (This is supposed to be fun,
eh?) Didn't really host too much, feel like I might have done a better
job on that account. (It _is_ my backyard), AND my car, which was
trapped by a shipping container just months ago (and was threatened with
engulf-sion by the lawn turned jungle) now has all these new shiny parts
on it and is ready to drive. In fact, that is what I will do tonight
when I get home. Did I mention the one year old Dunlop SP8000s only have
70 miles on them? And a quarter mile of that is being pushed around the property?
 So, when I get home I am going to...

Drive my Scirocco.

And all will be right with the world again.

TBerk