Turbo Questions for those with Knowledge....

 Hmm,

So far the consensus is the TDI turbo setup is a bad design, do to the
way it is set up for boost.

What about the old plain Turbo Diesel?

I figure I can scavenge a turbo diesel oil pan (need the drain return for
oil),
the oil filter attachment (for the turbo oil intake line), the manifold, the

turbo for under $300.

I know you can't have high compression with turbos (so the web seems say)
so how about the 8.5:1 JH engine?  I figure this is a good engine to play
with
(especially since mine is on it's way out anyways).

The old T.D. were mechanically controlled boost (all build into the turbo)
from
what I understand, so there is nothing to worry about except getting it all
connected.  Right?

So anyone want to tell me if I am completely off my rocker with this one?

I don't want to build a racing machine, but I thought a little boost on the
old 90HP engine would be a good start for a little time and maybe $400 (by
the time you spend all the extras), or is the gain really not worth the
effort?