Turbo Diesel parts, Fact or fiction..

 OKay,

Simple question for someone who has never played with turbos.

Is the turbo from the TDI modifiable to fit an 8V engine (say JH)?

I know there are more and more TDI's being wrecked, which means extra
parts (like manifolds & turbos, etc) are coming way down in price,
so a project to tinker with would not be that expensive.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable in turbos could think
up a dozen questions or scenarios on this swap/modification,
the primary one I can think of is if the Manifold and
turbo system are easily bolted up (with a little mods)
how would you control boost?  I thought the TDI "brains"
did all that along with detonation, etc.  One electronic
package.  Am I wrong?

Any thoughts around playing with this type of setup?