[Tech] No lights, wiper or heater...

Hi

For some reason the former owner of my car has put in a wire between the lower fuse connections on fuse 11 and 12. And for some reason the wire is now totally burnt and so are the 2 fuses (Mostly nr. 12).
But since this wire has burned the lights, high beams, wipers + washers, and heater stopped working. So obviously somebody has messed with the wiring, but before I dig into it this weekend I just wanted to hear som comments !?!
I'm certanly sure of that it was this homemade connection that made the things work, because i changed the fuses today = nothing still worked, put a flat screwdriver in between fuses 11 and 12 = lights, heater and wipers all works!
Something else which is quite strange: When I had taken out the homemade wire, and changed the fuses, i drove to work. On the way I pushed the light stalk back for high beam (just experimenting) and everyother time I HOLD the stalk back (I really have to hold it) lights, high beams, heater and wiper works. If i let go of the stalk it doesn't, not even the high beams. The other times i hold it back (every 2. time) it 's just the high beams that comes on...but goes of as I let go...
HEEEELP - I'm NOT interested in putting the wire back in - it almost fused itself to the fusepanel.
I've looked in my Haynes for some advice from the digrams...now i'm just even more puzzeld !

Thanks! (Remember my car is european = no american goodies such as AC or heated seats can be the cause ;-) )

Morten T Nielsen
"Euro lister"
76´Scirocco 1.6 TS (Carb)