Re: Inner tie rod replacement: advice please.

I'm sure these solutions will work well for you.  I didn't even know there
was such thing as a tie rod tool!  Probably would have made it much easier.

I used a big ugly crescent wrench.  I turned the wheel all the way to one
side so the tie rod was sticking all the way out and then broke it loose.
Repeat for the other side.  From there it was pretty easy.  I used hose
clamps on the boots because I don't like the crimp-style clamps.

Joe

>There is a unversial tie rod tool that you can buy
>from your local auto store that is esentially a pipe
>with a bolt through it on one side and had a place to
>put a 3/8" (or was it 1/2) ratchet on the other.  You
>remove the outer tierod, and place the pipe over the
>inner.  then you screw the nut down over the flatspot
>on the inner.  Carefully turn it counter clockwise and
>whella the inner end is off.  Its kind of a pain but
>not too difficult.  The rack boot is kind of a pain if
>you have big hands.

12 #1)
	id 14zSrt-0008Ay-00
	for scirocco-l-outgoing@neubayern.net; Mon, 14 May 2001 18:39:17 -0600