Re: sudden car death (deader than ever!)

Alrighty!
I've tested for a spark and I got one so next is the timing belt, I've
managed to rip
the other belts out of the way, the top timing belt cover is already
missing so onto the
bottom half.  BTW, I have a/c and p/s so this is that much more fun.
Now, the Bentley
tells me I have to take the water pump pully off and then take the crank
shaft dampener
off but it is very vague on how to go about this procedure.  How do I
keep the water pump
pully still enough to take off those four allen heads, do I need hex
sockets to do this btw,
or can I use an allen key?  Now to take the crank pully off I just put
it in gear and losen the
four allen bolts or do I have to take off the center one too?  Do I need
a puller?  This
seems like a very large pita to replace the timing belt.  I was thinking
this would be simple...

Also, I have noticed a big tear in the throttle body air boot.  Does
anyone have a replacement
in excellent shape?  and I broke my water pump tensioner bolt thingy,
where should I
get a replacement?  And the hose between my exhaust manifold and the
airbox is shot.
can I disable that whole function?  or would I lose gas milage or
otherwise?  Can I disable
that spring flap door in my airbox and block off the exhaust side?  One
more question,
there is a small vaccuum fitting that is sticking out of the top side of
the airbox boot, one
side has a hose hooked to it, the other does not, should I block off the
non-connected side?

Thank you for listening to my ramblings...  This is reguarding my '88
jetta 16v btw

Geordy Rostad