Re: Extra Wires at Battery

John Erickson wrote:

> I appear to have some "extra" wires on my battery terminals.  Other than the
> big beefy normal ones, should I have any little wires connected to the
> battery?  If so, what are they for?
>
> My battery won't hold a charge very long and I think its a poorly installed
> amp for the stereo (laying loose in the trunk).  Its "on" all the time, but
> doesn't power up until it gets a signal from the head unit.  The amp doesn't
> appear to be grounded at all (I'm surprised it works).  I'm going to tear it
> all out and start over, but I was wondering if, as a starter, I could just
> disconnect all the little "surplus" wires on the battery.
>
> --
> John

No.

Not until you _know_ what they run to. It is normal to have at least
one/a few extra, smaller gauge wires that are not the big cables.
Identify before you choose between clipping the RED or the BLUE wire (?)

Got a Bentley? No? Get one.

TBerk
btw- Clean the battery terminals, and the Hot to Alt, and the Ground
strap at both ends, and coat them all with a light coating of Vaseline
(at least) but just a light coat. Check the batteries fluid level and
fill to the indicated mark using distilled water only, as applicable.
Bet you bring your battery back to health. Oh and disconnect the amp.  :)