Extra Wires at Battery

I appear to have some "extra" wires on my battery terminals.  Other than the
big beefy normal ones, should I have any little wires connected to the
battery?  If so, what are they for?

My battery won't hold a charge very long and I think its a poorly installed
amp for the stereo (laying loose in the trunk).  Its "on" all the time, but
doesn't power up until it gets a signal from the head unit.  The amp doesn't
appear to be grounded at all (I'm surprised it works).  I'm going to tear it
all out and start over, but I was wondering if, as a starter, I could just
disconnect all the little "surplus" wires on the battery.

--
John
'00 Jetta GLS VR6