sudden car death

I was driving my jetta 16v on the freeway and I took junction exit and
went over an expansion joint and all of the sudden my car loses all
combustion capabilities.  It won't start now.  I have it safe and sound in
my driveway at least but what should I start with?  When I turn the key,
the fuel pump still goes and sometimes when I tried to start it, it sounded
like it was about to start but no go.  In other words I think it's getting a
spark of some nature at least.  I just did the plugs and injection seals.
Fuel filter maybe?  that seems odd to me however, especially a sudden death
like that.  What could get bumped off and kill the car?  I checked all
of the
ususal main wires (plugs, coil cap) they seemed fine.  Is there one or two
fuel pumps on this car?  Help me out people...Throw me a fricken bone here!

Geordy Rostad
1988 Jetta 16V