Re: [mk2] clutch problem

Kevin Collins wrote:

> foxxinabox@core.com wrote:
>
> > it's tightened properly, but the pedal still goes to the floor and the
> > clutch won't engage.
>
> I ASSume you mean won't DISengage, since you're talking about the pedal going
> to the floor and nothing happening?
>
> If so I just went through this.  My car would do this once every 3-4 months
> in the whole 3 years I've owned it, but it would only do it once then be
> fine.  Finally a month ago it did it again and then afterwards the clutch
> wouldn't fully disengage, I had to shut the car off to get it into 1st or
> second gear.  The tranny was pulled and whatever shaft is in there (I'm not
> at all technical about what's what in there) was crapped up with coagulated
> grease.

Them there be SPLINES Kev.  :)

> --
> Kevin Collins

Besides it being a stuck friction disk/pressure plate or the throw out
bearing (easy to see if it or the arm are bad by popping the cap off of
the 5th gear end) there might also be trouble like what happened to me;
the push rod that runs down the middle tracked off center and I was left
with it punching through the soft iron on the side of the push plate.

Hard to know for sure without it all apart but I like the idea of magnet
and inspection.

hth,
TBerk