[mk2] clutch problem

as i gt ready to turn down the road to my parents house (luckily,
where i work on my cars) i engaged the clutch. the pedal went down
like normal, then i felt a little snap in the clutch cable and the
clutch wouldn't engage. i managed to limp the car home. thinking it
was the clutch cable, i inspected it and found no fault. i replaced it
with a spare one anyway. still, no clutch. it's tightened properly,
but the pedal still goes to the floor and the clutch won't engage.
since i keep forgetting my bentley (need a note stapled to my forhead)
i checked my haynes manual. it said the cable or the release bearing
was probably the culprit. it also said that a collapsed spring in the
pressure plate could also be at fault (hell no. don't like going
there). the only thing i've done to the trans in the past couple days
was replace an inner flange seal and drain and fill the trans with new
fluid. and, since yeasterday, i wasn't having a problem with it. any
ideas? i really don't want to do a clutch replacement, but if that's
what it takes....