Re: cams/headers/etc

At 1:34 AM -0400 5/5/01, Josh[deady]Able wrote:
>What cams would be best for  1.8 head on a 2.0 block?
>I've heard decent things about  AutoTech, claim that they keep a more low
>end than most other cams.

Dunno if the archives are this current, but if you've got old mails in your
trash folder or whatever you could do a search and come up with some good
info.  VWVortex is a great source on cam debates too.  I think in a
nutshell you could say that there aren't any really crappy cams on the
market.  Depending on what power characteristics you want, picking a cam is
as easy as picking a number.  Want to preserve low end and bump the
midrange?  The euro intake cam (or a modded stock exhaust cam) is your
safest bet, followed by either the Schrick 260, Autotech, or the upcoming
TT set.  The latter 3 will shift your hp peak up in the range, as well as
raise it, while sacrificing <2000rpm pull.  If you want more peak hp, the
next step is a Schrick 268, or an equivalent Kent set.  Personally, I trust
Schrick's R&D over Kent's, but I dunno why.  Cam sets in this range will
definitely suck some low-end torque out of your motor, but will also yield
a bunch of peak (6000+rpm) hp.  Within the last year, asymmetric cam sets
started popping up...this actually started with teh autotech set, but
people later started finding that wild exhaust cams paired with milder
intakes gave you excellent torque curves and reasonable peak hp.  Check out
the chart on my Piper asymmetrics -
http://www.scirocco16v.com/Images/dyno_charts/graph.gif and compare it with
the chart on my Schrick 276es -
http://www.scirocco16v.com/Images/dyno_charts/riley-dyno1lg.jpg

While I had the big cams, I drove almost exclusively on the highway, so
they were a dream come true.  Right now I'm doing a lot of rush-hour
driving, so the Pipers make a lot more sense (though I miss the big
sticks...).  Think about where you do your driving, and how you like to
drive, and go from there.

>BroSpeed headers? Good?

I highly doubt it.  If you're going to choose a header over something like
TT's euro downpipe, save yourself some aggravation and find a Supersprint.
There isn't a header on the market with a better, or more well-deserved,
reputation for quality.  Don't waste your money on a eurosport... the welds
on them don't seem to last very long.

HTH!