Re: Koni Sport Adjustables]

On Sat, 5 May 2001 13:52:42 -0400 "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>Uh..., the only part of the strut outside of the housing is the rod
>and it
>contains nothing but good old steel! Unfortunately, Bilstein is no
>different
>than any other shock in this regard. (Yes! I've owned and installed
>them!)
>Every shock, on a bad enough road, will generate a lot of heat and
>it's
>better to improve your heat transfer by adding oil or antifreeze
>around the insert. There is NO downside to doing this.

Im just here to reinforce the issue.
Add some fluid to the strut tube. Cooling is a good thing AND it will
keep the inside of the strut tube from rusting. Ive opened a few strut
tubes that were dry and the damage was already done.

I prefer to use ATF in the strut tubes ONLY because when you ever have to
replace the strut tube or otherwise open the strut tube for any reason,
it wont stink nearly as bad as the nauseating coolant stinks! Use what
YOU want.

don't fill the strut tube completely full or you will think the new
insert is leaking (and also leak onto the rotors. BAD.) when the liquid
(of your choice) expands and overflows out of the tube. fill it about
half full when the insert is installed.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!