How does the electronic ignition look?

Hi

OK - I have read a few walk troughs on how to convert to electronic ignition. And it seems pretty straight forward so I thought i'd do it!
First of all - I live in europe and the therefore the car is also from europe...my car does not have FI but a Zenith 2B2 carb. I'm just saying this because i'll probably get 20 different answers if I'm not precise ;-)

Well - I needed the distributer, the coil, the wiring, and of course the electronic module which controls the ignition. WELL
I went to the breakers today - I looked under the hood of 3 Jettas 5 Golfs and a Cabrio. Their age ranged from around 80 to app. 90. And everything I could find was the distributer, the coil, the wiring, but NOT the damn little control unit. Not even in the only GTI, a mk. 1!! It's supposed to sit under the "flappy" shield on top of the firewall right? - anyway I looked EVERYWHERE on those cars!
I took of some of the caps of on the distributor and underneath they look just like mine. How does an old (not electronic) ignition distributer look like inside? - because maybe there already are electronic ignition on my car...since I can't find an electronic kontrol unit for the ignition on the other cars and there sure ain't one on mine! I'm confused...

The only thing which was different was the vacuum advance unit on the side of the distributer. The mk. 1 GTI had one like mine (with 2 hoses) - but the newer gofls and jettas had a smaller one with just one 1 hose...

Please answer quick...it's such a nice weather and I want to drive my car. Please please please!

Thanks !

Morten T Nielsen
"Euro lister"
76´Scirocco 1.6 TS (Carb)