Re: Oil/AF in strut housing [was Re: Koni Sport Adjustables]

Oe shocks are junk. They dont come with any sort of cooling additive inside
the housing. If you found oil(most likely) it was from a leaky OE shock.
Adding antifreeze or oil will cool the shock and thus increase its
longevity. Everything will break over time. The longer you can postpone that
breaking thing the better. That is why using a cooling agent in the housing
is recommended.

>	I was mulling over this same thing for my Bilstein sports and heard both
>oil and antifreeze suggested for filling the strut housing, but the gruff
>sounding tech guy at Bilstein said not to use anything so I didn't.  Hope I
>wasn't misinformed.  That said, I think the original housing did contain a
>liquid although I can't remember if it was oily or aqueous.  Can anyone
>point to a written document to settle this definitively so it can go into
>our FAQ?  benton----
>

>>From: "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
>>Subject: Re: Koni Sport Adjustables - Need a primer session Pls.
>>Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 07:08:19 -0000
>>

>>I usually use Anitfreeze. I add some to the tube and insert the strut.
>>Whatever spills out would be considered excess.
>>

>>Chris DeLong
>>ICQ#45030867
>>Seattle, WA USA

Chris DeLong