Re: :Suspension advice wanted plz:

On Wed, 02 May 2001 07:48:06 -0700 mike <rept@qwest.net> writes:

>The car will be doing some autoX in the novice
>class,  but it is primarily my daily driver.
>
>I have seen threads on struts and shocks before,
>but few really said more than " buy some
>bilsteins, they have a good quarantee".   Im
>looking for a marriage of my existing components-
>to the optimum set of struts/shocks.

Bilsteins are a great shock for the street. For the most part, you
wouldn't pull over and adjust a shock while on a drive anyways so the
"self adjustability" of the Bilsteins are great and predictable for the
driver. The warranty is cool too but so 2what, we want "the best
configuration".

There can be only one shock for light autox and daily driving duty. Koni
adjustable. The Tokico's are adjustable but most everyone that I have
spoken to who autocrossed with them, didn't like them AND/OR experienced
a failure with a front shock soon after installing them.

So, you spend the extra bucks and buy the Koni's which also have a
lifetime warranty. They are expensive but you have the option of buying a
front set, then later on a rear set. (Id buy the rear set first to which
will gain your use in the autox better gains of the stiffer rear setting
adjustment ability.)

You will want to increase the spring rates to make the best use of your
SM class car with the koni's.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!