Re: TECH Question (sort of)

--- "Langford, Cory" <Cory.Langford@icbc.com> wrote:

>   With the Sun finally starting to show up regularly now,
> I have been
> stripping down the old '82 for
> a restore.  One thing that has always been a pet peeve of
> mine is the fact
> that under the hood there
> is that foam noise barrier (or what ever it is used for)
> and it is simply
> disintegrating.
>
> I mean literally disintegrating. From the heat or what
> ever, it is falling
> apart.  You touch it and it
> turns to dust almost.
>
> So the question is.  What do the rest of you usually do
> about this.

Welll....    I accidently hit it with the powerwasher
yesterday on my '85, so I just continued and it was all off
within a minute or two.  The residue is something else
though - I forget who it was (or where the info can be
found) who figured out how to get the residue off.

  is it
> work ripping down and
> replacing (can you get new foam)

Replacement foam is *EXPENSIVE* from the dealer if you can
even get it.  (Well over $100).  I have a set new in the
bag, not sure if I'm gonna use it or not.

 or do you simply strip
> down the hood and
> paint the underside and
> not worry about it?

That's another option.  Do what you like!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco S,                Parting out:
'82 Pickup                     '80 Scirocco
'85 Scirocco 8v                '85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v               '87 Scirocco 8v
'91 Passat
"I am who I am. What else could I be?" - Lara Fabian