Under the hood foam revisited.

Thanks for all the responses.

I realize you can take it off, and with some work even get the glue/gunk
off from underneath it.

What I was curious about is if anyone know if the foam actually did anything
significant?  IE: I would think the engine bay would be cooler with out the
foam for insulation?  Does it actually add a great deal of noise dampening?

Anyone happen to have a hood with out it that can compare to a hood with it?

>From the easiest perspective, removing it seems the way to go, just want to
know what the consequences are.

I don't quite remember, but I don't think my '77 MK1 had this under the
hood..

Cory