Re: TECH Question (sort of)

I took a shop-vac to mine to keep the crap from
falling into the engine compartment.

Dynamat makes a hood-liner that I will probably be
purchasing at some point in the summer.  My car will
eventually be made more of sound dampener than
metal...

Mark

--- Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Langford, Cory" <Cory.Langford@icbc.com> wrote:
> >

> >   With the Sun finally starting to show up
> regularly now,
> > I have been
> > stripping down the old '82 for
> > a restore.  One thing that has always been a pet
> peeve of
> > mine is the fact
> > that under the hood there
> > is that foam noise barrier (or what ever it is
> used for)
> > and it is simply
> > disintegrating.
> >
> > I mean literally disintegrating. From the heat or
> what
> > ever, it is falling
> > apart.  You touch it and it
> > turns to dust almost.
> >
> > So the question is.  What do the rest of you
> usually do
> > about this.
>
> Welll....    I accidently hit it with the
> powerwasher
> yesterday on my '85, so I just continued and it was
> all off
> within a minute or two.  The residue is something
> else
> though - I forget who it was (or where the info can
> be
> found) who figured out how to get the residue off.
>
>   is it
> > work ripping down and
> > replacing (can you get new foam)
>
> Replacement foam is *EXPENSIVE* from the dealer if
> you can
> even get it.  (Well over $100).  I have a set new in
> the
> bag, not sure if I'm gonna use it or not.
>
>  or do you simply strip
> > down the hood and
> > paint the underside and
> > not worry about it?
>
> That's another option.  Do what you like!
>

> =====
> Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
> '80 Scirocco S,                Parting out:
> '82 Pickup                     '80 Scirocco
> '85 Scirocco 8v                '85 Scirocco 8v
> '88 Scirocco 16v               '87 Scirocco 8v
> '91 Passat
> "I am who I am. What else could I be?" - Lara Fabian

> Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
> prices
> http://auctions.yahoo.com/
>
> --
> Email LIST problems to:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.

=====
Mark
Music is the soundtrack to the Low Budget B-movie that is my life.

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/