RE: alignment

Shawn, that was awesome. Thank you! I will use this information as a place to
start once my '77 reaches pylon-worthiness. (admittedly, still some time from
now!)

Now that we've got a baseline for discussion, here's some more specific q's: You
mentioned that Wenzel used camber plates rotated to become castor plates. First,
was this a small adjustment, or did he make a large change? Positive castor
means tops of struts move forward, right? I'm assuming he still managed to get a
good deal of neg. camber into the front wheels. How? I hear Shine makes plates
that somehow do both castor and camber...

[non-alignment, but alignment-related] You and Kevin both run Hoosier AS303s,
right? What size? I've gotten a few surprisingly different opinions on spring
rates, swaybars (if any) and ride height. Any recommendations?

----Dan says-----
<SNIP...angular vs. linear measurement of toe stuff...>
> Anyway, what is the convention used to determine these measurements?
<SNIP>
-----------------

I've wondered about this before, too. I don't know much about how alignment
racks work (yet). The numbers indiate the delta between the track measured at
the front of the wheels vs. the back. Now, that leaves me with two questions:

1) Where on the wheel/tire do you measure? Center bead of tire tread? Inside
edge of tread? Inside edge of rim?

2) What happens if you change wheels/tires before you make changes? Changing rim
offset shouldn't matter, since the delta should be the same, but what if the
radius to the reference point changes, due to a diameter change or something?
You've just lost your baseline. It would seem an angular measurement of the
spindles relative to normal (logitudinal axis of the car) is the only acurate
toe measurement...

Neal