Re: headliner removal

At 3:07 PM -0600 3/31/01, Jody Bailey wrote:
>Well all that is left on the 87 is the sweet (perfect condition) black
>headliner. Soooo if anyone can tell me how to get this thing out without
>wrecking it I would be in your debt forever.  I would be willing to give
>anyone who can give me some pointers  first dibs on buying it.  If even you
>do not want to buy, you wanna help me get it out clean so I can sell it to
>someone else.  I would keep it and put it in my 82, but I think it is just
>too much of a PITA.  TIA
>
>djsteveyk
>http://www.scirocco8v.com

Hey jody, I just got through doing this on my '87... The first thing you
learn is that the headliner will not come out 100% intact unless you pull
the rear quarter and windshield glass out.  The headliner is wrapped
underneath the seals here and from my experience you stand only a slight
chance of pulling it out (with the glass still in the car) intact.
Especially from the windshield gasket... Otherwise it's pretty
straightforward.  Remove the visors, the sunroof stuff, the 2 coat hooks on
the B-pillars, then the gaskets around the doors and the hatch.  Then it's
just a matter of peeling back the vinyl that's wrapped around the metal
lip.  There are 3 or 4 bows that hold the headliner up in the middle that
attach to the roof along the sides with clips.  Shouldn't take more than a
second or two to figure out how to pop them out...

Good luck! :)