RE: How did things go at the SoCal Pro Solo Event? (tre-longoso)

> Then I learned that the reaction time from competition didn't mean jack.
> This means that a red light is STUPID. No reason for it to happen. The
> reaction time is only important at the challenge. This much I lurnt.

You wanna explain that one? AFAIK, when the light turns green, the clock
starts. Considering I'm guilty of leaving the car in neutral (call it a
REALLY bad reaction time!), and it KILLED my time for that run, I believe
this to be true. Why wouldn't it matter?

I am also only just beginning to realize the importance that a good launch
makes. Current popular thought suggests that a Impreza 2.5RS won't compete
with an Integra Type R. Autocross normally has a "rolling" start, so you
don't have to deal with wheelspin issues, launches, or reaction times. In a
ProSolo, though, with more practice I should be able to cut a consistent
2.0-2.1 60' time. If the Type R has a hard time making a 2.4 off the line,
that gives me a .3-.4 sec. advantage before we even hit the first turn.
That's HUGE. Every time I ran against an ITR bears this out: I was ALWAYS a
car length ahead of them before the first turn (it's intimidating hearing
the VTEC kick in behind you tho!). Even if the ITR is better on the rest of
the course, I'm not sure that it is going to be .4 sec better. IMHO, a good
launch with a good reaction time and minimum wheelspin WILL make or break
you...just like a drag race. A .1 improvement in the first 60' translates
directly into AT LEAST a .1 improvement in your overall time. It also means
you're also carrying more velocity at the end of the straight into the turn,
improving your time even after the 60'.

Neal