Re: How did things go at the SoCal Pro Solo Event? (tre-longoso)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:04:14 -0700 "Mike VanAmburgh"
<vmichael12@qwest.net> writes:

>Sorry about that Shawn!

Hey, not your fault.

>What time did you end up going back Friday
>night anyway?  I didn't get there until 6 or so.  It would have been
>cool to hook up for dinner or something.  I was looking for you after
>things died down Sunday, but you must have already taken off.

Yeah, I had planned on taking you guys out to dinner with the Potter
peoples. Things didn't work out. I do remember why it is I had to leave
early. I had to go to Potterman place to pick up a new ball joint. My
drivers side decided to stop working like it should. Today I discovered
that replacing it is what caused my steering problems. It seems the
locking washers didn't WORK. As it turns out the 3 bolts came loose and
that's the real reason why I had problems. The steering tie rod works
fine. Now I got a spare. :)

I came looking for in the pits but I couldn't find you. I figured you
guys took off right after the event was over. I stuck around for the
challenge for some stupid reason. I should of changed tires and went
home.

>Integra Type R's came in first, second and third with Peter
>Mottaz in 4th with the other BMW.

I worked in the firs run group. Hearing those cars launch side by side
comming at me was pretty cool! You guys can hate Honda's all you want but
you gotta respect the fact these STOCK (meaning NO mods other than shocks
and a big front swaybar) Type R's were beating my times in my 80% FSP
modded Roc! They're fast.

>The owner of the car I was driving was in 5th and I was in 6th behind
him by
>.069 seconds.  They had me in fifth, but a cone that I smacked was
missed
>by the scoring people.  After I told them about it, I was knocked down
>6th after my 34.8xx run became 36.8xxx.

I tried to hook a brutha up (sssssssss.... radio dont work.... cant
report....sssssssssss..) and what does he do? Runs and tells on himself!
WHADDA DORK!!

>out that the Sunday morning runs were the last runs!  Crap.  I'll call
>this a learning experience.  :-)

Me too! If i did anything last weekend, I learned how to attend and
participate a Pro Solo. Shit happens fast.
I dont know about you but, im thinking heavy about going to 2 more Pro
Solo's AND the Pro Solo at Nationals. Im already tied for 1st in FSP!
What about you?

>The car felt good, but definitely needs a set of Koni shocks.  It was
>launching great against the Type Rs.  I was able to beat every one of
>them to the first curve except once when I had a crappy reaction time.

Then I learned that the reaction time from competition didn't mean jack.
This means that a red light is STUPID. No reason for it to happen. The
reaction time is only important at the challenge. This much I lurnt.

>I did have one embarassing moment Saturday morning.  I staged for the
>left course for my second run, the yellow lights were counting down,
>last yellow shines and GO!  WTF?  Car doesn't move!  My dumbass forgot
>to put the car in gear after I staged.  Hehe.  So I quick threw it in
>first and started to launch, but had it in reverse by mistake!  I don't
>think Shawn saw me do that and I probably shouldn't be saying this.
>I'll probably never hear of the end of it now.  :-)
>
>Anyway, need to get to bed.  Glad to be home...
>
>Mike

I saw that, but didn't know you did it by accident! I was WAY out on
course so I couldn't hear the PA system. I wondered WTF you were doing. I
had to stop telling the other course workers, "that's my friend" and
changed it to.... "Who is that dork"? LOL!!
Im also glad that you experience the same last name butchering that I do!
I heard at least 5 different pronunciations of your last name. :)

It was good to see you again, next time were gonna at least have dinner
dude!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!